Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Fun Fourth & Social Security Fiasco

We had a great 4th of July weekend and celebrated not only our independence, but also Olivia’s.  It was an extra-special one this year for us.

My Mom and Beth came up for the weekend, and we enjoyed spending time and playing with them.  Grammy and Beth brought special 4th of July hats, head bands, and flags, so Ansley decided that we needed to have a parade.  We all paraded up and down the driveway.  When the adults thought we were finished, she then decided that we needed to parade up and down the street.  :)  We went a little way down the road and then came back.  Olivia just tagged right along like she knew what we were doing.  We made a special flag cake for dessert.  As you can see from the picture below, Olivia couldn’t wait to get her hands in it (literally)!


Daddy and his girls on their bikes

Olivia and Grammy

Beth and Olivia

Future Chef in Training


Getting ready for the parade










Mom surprised the girls with a new outdoor playhouse that Philip put together for them on Saturday, so most of the afternoon was spent “helping” put it together and then playing in it.










Olivia is still doing great in day care!  In fact, we were able to get her in full time beginning the week of July 7th!!  This is such a blessing.  Logistics were going to be a major issue for us if she had stayed part time.  We are so blessed that a spot opened up for her, and that the day care has been so wonderful to work with through this whole transition.

On Wednesday, July 9th, Olivia and I ventured to the Social Security Office to apply for her SSN.  What an experience!  We went early, before they opened, hoping to get in and out.  Little did I know that there would be a line!  Fortunately, the line went pretty quickly, we got inside, and took a number.  Pretty soon after, they called our number, and we went up to the window.  All of Olivia’s paperwork was in line and just what we needed, but as it turned out, MY paperwork was not correct!  It appears that after we got married back in 1999, and I updated my name on my social security card, they changed my name to Jill Fry Martindale, instead of Emily Jill Martindale.  This caused a discrepancy in the computer system, and they would not allow me to continue until they saw my birth certificate.  (And, they closed at noon.) Let this be a lesson for anyone who names their child (daughter, especially) something and calls them by their middle name.  J  I politely asked if Olivia had to come back with me, and he said, “No.”  Thank goodness!  So, I took her to day care, went to the bank to the lock box, got my birth certificate, and went back to the SS office.  Fortunately, I arrived before they closed and after a wait, was able to not only apply for Olivia’s SSN, but also was able to apply for a new card of my own.  Whew!  I was so glad to get that over with.  Besides the “re-adoption” or record of foreign birth, this is one of the last things we have to do.  (For the record, both social security cards arrived one week later.)
Here is the line when we got there:

Here we are patiently waiting for our number to be called:


I am so glad to have this behind us.  

Until next time,
Jill

No comments: