Saturday, May 10, 2014

Happy Mother's Day!

Let me start out by saying that this has been the best Mother's Day ever.  I am SO BLESSED this year to have had a great week with not only the world's greatest Mom, but I've been blessed to also spend it with not one, but two daughters this year.  

I have had the opportunity to grow up around many strong and talented women that not only taught me about life, but also taught me about being a mother.  The number one woman I am speaking of is my mother, Jean Fry.  She is the definition of a mother.  From driving Mom's Taxi while I was growing up to typing me letters several days a week while in college, you are the best.  Words do not do her justice, so I'm not going to try.  All I'm going to say is that she is a strong, Christian woman who is selfless and would give her right arm to help someone in need.  Her hobby is helping others.  She absolutely has more patience than any other human I know.  For those of you who know her, you know what I mean.  Thanks, Mom, for all you do for me, and especially thanks for your help this past week.  I'm glad we were able to spend it together.  I appreciate you opening your heart to love my little girls, especially the one who is not of our flesh.  Thanks also to all of the other mothers who I know.  I have learned so much from so many.  

Now for the not-so-happy part of this day....you see, Mother's Day hasn't always been a happy day for me, and it isn't a happy day for so many.  It actually elicits many emotions inside me.  This year is a happy one for me.

For those of you who have lost a mother, I pray for you.  I know that it must be a hard day for you.  Each Mother's Day that passes, I think of Philip's mother, Diane Martindale.  Oh how I wish she was still with us.  She would have LOVED being a grandmother.  I learned so much from her in the short time that I knew her, and we miss her so much.  

For those of you dealing with infertility, I pray for you especially on this day.  In my opinion, Mother's Day was the hardest holiday for me when I was going through that.  I wanted to be a mother so badly....it was always so difficult to put on a happy face when all the day was about was being a mother....something that wasn't happening for me.  I pray for better days ahead for you.  It is so hard to see God's plan right now, but just know that there is one.

For those waiting adoptive moms, I pray for you.  Those Mother's Days were also hard.  I spent them wondering if I would ever meet my little one, who she was, was she born yet?, what was she doing right then?.....the questions went on and on.  God's timing is perfect, friends.  While it is hard to see it while you are living it, trust me.  I pray for your patience.  

For those of you who have lost children, I pray for you as well.  I cannot imagine the pain that you go through every year on this day.  I admire your strength and perseverance and pray for you to have peace.

And last, but not least, for Olivia's birth mother, and other birth mothers out there who were not able to take care of their little ones, I pray for you.  I pray specifically that Olivia's birth mother has a peace about her tonight that her little girl is loved by so many already and is safe.  She is thriving in her new home, and we love her so much.  (I have many thoughts around this, but I'm not quite ready to put them into words.)

I will close by saying that I'm still in a little bit of shock every time I look up and see the faces of my two precious angels, and I'm humbled and honored that God chose me to be their mother.  Of all the women in the world....me.  I will do my best every day to live up to this great responsibility.  

Happy Mother's Day,
Jill

No comments: