Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Back to Work...

Well, the “honeymoon” is over.  I returned back to work on Monday, July 14th.  Fortunately, I was able to get some downtime and enjoy a nice girls weekend with some of my dear friends from college the weekend before my return.  We try to get together twice per year, and this summer, they came to NashVegas.  We enjoyed Friday evening at Arrington Vineyards, Saturday in Leiper’s Fork and Franklin, and Saturday night in Downtown Nashville.  Sunday was a leisurely breakfast before everyone headed back home.  I am so blessed with so many wonderful friends, but especially these special ladies.  Thanks to Philip, Da, & Su for helping with the girls for me to get a short break.  This was the first time that I spent the night away from Olivia.  She did great and needed the bonding time with Philip, and likewise, Ansley got some “one on one” time with Da and Su.  We divided and conquered for the weekend:  Olivia stayed with Philip for the weekend, while Ansley spent the night with Da & Su.  You know the saying, “It takes a village,” and that is the absolute truth with parenting.  I am blessed with awesome family and friends who are helping us raise our girls.






I am also blessed that Olivia LOVES school.  The teachers marvel at well she is doing, and the fact that she seems to understand everything they say to her.  The English words are slowly coming….she has about 9 right now:  “Hi, Bye Bye, Hot, Thank You, Baby, Shoes, Eyes, DaDa, Mama.”  I keep thinking that one day she is just going to start talking in English sentences, but we’ll see.  She is babbling quite a bit…..I assume in Chinese.  She still will not talk to Mrs. Ping at school, but she definitely understands what she is saying.  She is also “Miss Congeniality.”  She welcomes anyone who comes in her class and likes to show them around the room.  She has a huge smile on her face every day when I pick her up, and the teachers just adore her.  She is very outgoing and doesn’t meet a stranger.  She still spends a lot of time observing, but she is beginning to play with other friends in her class.  She is still doing really well at church, too.




The fact that she loves school made it easier to come back to work.  And, boy, did I come back to some busy-ness!  This time of year is our “busy season,” or busier than others.  This year seems to be crazier than most.  My co-workers welcomed me back with a nice sign and “We missed you’s!”  We are adjusting to our new schedule with Philip taking the girls to school and me picking them up.  I am adjusting to once again trying to be proactive and planning meals ahead, getting clothes out the night before, etc.  So far, so good.  I also have to totally switch gears on my drive to/from work from “Mommy Mode” to “work mode” or vice versa.  It is nice to have a few minutes to clear my mind on the drive.

The hardest time of day is when we walk in the door from work/school.  The girls are “hangry.”  My definition of “hangry” is being so hungry that you’re angry.  Therefore, before I do anything, I have to get them a snack.  That means, before I take off my work clothes, before I set my computer bag down, before I put my keys down, etc.  I’m usually getting dinner ready in my work clothes.  And, as many of you know, there is a fine line that time of day with how much to give them for a snack.  I’m learning my line with Olivia, that’s for sure.  She is a wild woman from about 5-7pm, and some days I just don’t move fast enough for her.  Ha!

She is still eating well; however, she is becoming a little more discerning…especially with meat.  Not really a fan.  Not surprising, since they don’t eat a lot of meat in China.  She LOVES macaroni and cheese, though!  When in doubt, give that girl some mac & cheese!!  She also still enjoys the drinkable yogurt, and LOVES chocolate.  We made brownies, and it was a race to see who could lick the spoon/bowl the fastest!  It was a tight race, too!  (see picture)




Thanks for reading!
Jill

No comments: